Fiancé(e) Visa

This visa is for U.S. citizens with a fiancé(e) overseas, who the U.S. citizen intends to marry in the U.S. The K-1 visa lets the fiancé(e) travel to the U.S., where the U.S. citizen and fiancé(e) must marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e)’s arrival.

Why a Fiancé(e) Lawyer

  • Completing the Fiancé(e) Petition and Immigrant Visa Application;
  • Submission of a complete packet with all supporting affidavits, evidence, and proof of the relationship; and
  • Green Card Application support once the U.S. Citizen and fiancé(e) are married.

Requirements for Fiancé(e) Visa Application

Petitioner must be an U.S. Citizen. The U.S. Citizen and fiancé(e) are both legally free to marry. They intend to marry one another within 90 days of the fiancé(e)’s entering the United States on a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. U.S. Citizen and fiancé(e) must have met each other at least once within the 2 years before the U.S. Citizen files the petition, unless they were unable to because 1) meeting would violate strict and long established cultural, social, or religious practice; or 2) result in extreme hardship to the U.S. Citizen.

Benefits of Fiancé(e) Visa

  • Don’t have to wait to get married to bring loved one to the U.S. and be together;
  • Can get married in the U.S.; and
  • After getting married, your now-spouse can now apply for a Green Card, and they can work while the Green Card application is pending.


Yes. This is an option only available for the fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens.

Your fiancé(e) will need to provide documentation to prove your relationship in addition to identification documents.

You must marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival. After this time the K-1 visa will automatically expire.

Your fiancé(e)’s K-1 visa will let them stay in the country for a maximum of 6 months. If they stay beyond the 6 months, they will start accruing unlawful presence, and if they do not leave within a certain time, they may be banned from reentering the U.S. for 3 or 10 years.

After getting married, your now-spouse can now apply for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. This process is called Adjustment of Status, which is the application to get a Green Card. Your now-spouse will also be eligible for a work permit with the filing of the Adjustment of Status application.

Schedule your appointment and start your Fiance(e) Visa application


    © Copyright 2020 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

    Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2021 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

    Scroll to top