VAWA Self Petition Visa

Are you an immigrant without status, who has faced domestic violence from a U.S. citizen spouse, parent, or child or a Lawful Permanent Resident spouse or parent? If so, you might be eligible to self-petition for a Green Card under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA immigration).

Why an immigration lawyer for VAWA Application?

  • Detailed declaration of the Applicant telling their story and how they meet the legal VAWA immigration requirements;
  • Submission of complete packet with supporting affidavits and documents, evidence of abuse faced and basis of claim, and completed forms.
  • Strategic advice from beginning to end on how to meet the requirements and attorney provides assistance and oversees every single piece of evidence.

We Offer a Broad Range of Immigration Services

Contact us for an assessment with our WAVA Immigration Lawyer. We are happy to help you obtain the visa that best suits your business and career goals.

VAWA Self Petition Requirements

To self-petition for a Green Card under VAWA immigration, you must be the victim of domestic abuse at the hands of your U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident family member; establish the family relationship; have resided with the abusive family member; and be a person of good moral character. When the abusive family member is a spouse, you must also establish that you entered into the marriage in good faith and not for any immigration benefits.

You must clearly demonstrate that you suffered “battery or extreme cruelty” in your declaration and supporting evidence. You must not have any bars to adjustment of status that could prevent you from having your application approved.

Benefits of a VAWA Petition

  • Ability to self petition and find safety in the United States without the abusive family member’s knowledge;
  • Can include child dependents in the application;
  • You will be safe from detention or deportation on the basis of your immigration status;
  • You can get a work permit and travel permit while your Green Card petition is pending; and
  • You can get a Green Card, and if you qualified for VAWA immigration through marriage to an abusive U.S. Citizen or as the child of an abusive U.S. Citizen parent, you can apply for citizenship after three years of having the Green Card.


You can use your current address to apply, even if it is not where you intend to permanently reside. You can provide a safe address so that the abusive family member you live with will not know that you filed the application. Your attorney will also receive a copy of all the USCIS correspondence.

Yes, you can include in your WAVA immigration application unmarried child dependents, who are under 21 years old. Please see our blog post for more information: VAWA: Green Cards for Your Dependent Children

Once you have submitted the completed forms and supporting documents, you will hear back from USCIS about whether your application has been approved, denied, or if USCIS needs anything else from you. Be sure to let your immigration attorney know when this happens.

In order to qualify for VAWA immigration, you need to demonstrate that you have suffered from battery or extreme cruelty. For more information please read our blog Establishing Abuse for a VAWA Petition

Yes, they do. You will need to provide evidence of emotional and/or verbal abuse you faced in your declaration, supporting affidavits, and any other documented evidence that could help demonstrate your claim.

Yes, you can apply for both a work permit and a travel permit if you have an approved VAWA immigration petition. Your children, who are dependents, can also apply for work authorization.

Yes, a VAWA petition will lead to a Green Card and therefore, permanent  residence in the U.S.! Generally, you will need to have the VAWA petition approved first and then apply to adjust your status to get the Green Card. However, if a visa is currently available or the priority date is current, you can file both the VAWA petition and the Green Card application concurrently.

Yes – in spite of the name, VAWA immigration protections extend to any non-U.S. citizen, including men, who meet the criteria.

As long as you are applying for VAWA within two years of getting divorced, you are still eligible for VAWA. You are also still eligible to apply for VAWA even if you are still married.

Schedule your appointment and start your VAWA application


    © Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

    Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

    Scroll to top