Student Visa

If you are an international student planning to study abroad in the United States, whether it be for the entirety of a degree program or for simply a semester or two, you will need to apply for a U.S. student visa.

There are three different types of non-immigrant student visas that will allow you to study in the U.S.: F, M, and J Visas.

Contact us for an assessment of your background and qualifications to determine your eligibility for one or more student visas.


Types of student visas

For international students who intend to pursue an academic degree at an accredited U.S. college or university, or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.

For international exchange students and visitors participating in programs in the U.S. that promote cultural exchange.

For international students who want to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the U.S..


Students with F-1 visas can work on-campus for 20 hours a week or less. Students wishing to work longer hours and off-campus must gain prior authorization from the USCIS – they may also obtain work authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) for a total of twelve months, without accruing more than 90 days of unemployment.

M-1 students are admitted to the U.S. for a fixed time period – the length of their training program plus any Optional Practical Training. They are not permitted to stay in the US for longer than one year except in the case of extensions due to medical reasons. M-1 visa holders are not allowed to work on- or off-campus while studying and may not change their status to F-1.

A J-1 student may qualify for on campus employment, academic training in their field of study, and may qualify for off campus employment in certain emergency circumstances. Contact us to learn more.

You can apply for a dependent visa for your spouse and children under 21. Contact us to learn more about the requirements for petitioning for your spouse under each student visa option.

Yes, you can change your student from one student visa to another. However, there might be specific requirments that must first be met, such as the two-year home-country physical presence for J-1 visa holders, before you may apply for another visa. Contact us to learn more about changing your status while staying in the U.S. or applying from outside the U.S.

Questions & Answers


    © Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

    Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

    Scroll to top