Green Card Holder’s Guide to Bringing Loved Ones to the U.S

The U.S. immigration law allows you to access a great number of immigration procedures with which you can even reunite with your family in the United States and, in addition, facilitate them the way to receive a legal immigration status in the country. With the help of our family immigration lawyer, you will be able to successfully complete all types of procedures related to the family immigration to USA process. 

If you are a beneficiary of a lawful permanent residency in the United States, meaning a Green Card, certain family members residing abroad may be eligible to travel and live with you in the country, allowing them to access the opportunity to obtain a legal and permanent immigration status.

Remember that, in order for you to have the opportunity to complete this process without any inconvenience that may delay your family reunion, the help and legal support of our family immigration lawyer will greatly increase your chances of receiving a positive response from the immigration authorities of the country.

Schedule an appointment now and work hand in hand with experts in cases related to the family immigration to USA process.

Which family members can I apply for as a Green Card beneficiary?

As a lawful permanent resident in the United States, you may apply only for those family members who meet the eligibility criteria established by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which establishes the specific relationship you must share with the family members you wish to apply for.

As a Green Card holder, you may petition for the following family members:

  • Spouse (husband or wife)
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age

If the family members you have selected share any of these relationships with you, then you will be able to seamlessly initiate the family immigration to USA process, so that the family member can receive legal permanent residency in the United States.

Steps to apply for a family member from the USA as a Green Card beneficiary

The process to apply for your relatives and give them the opportunity to receive a Green Card is very simple. Below, we explain the process in 5 easy steps, with which you will surely be able to clearly understand the procedure to be carried out, clarifying any doubts you may have about the process.

The steps to apply for a relative as a beneficiary of a Green Card in the USA are:

  1. Complete Form I-130, the petition for alien relatives
  2. Provide evidence of your citizenship status that demonstrates your permanent residence within the United States
  3. Show proof of relation, a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc
  4. If applicable, submit proof of an legal name changes regarding you or your family member
  5. Submit this documentation to any USCIS office near you

Remember, if you need help completing any of the above steps, you can always count on the support of our family immigration lawyer, who is knowledgeable in immigration law, to provide you with all the guidance you need.

You can read one of our green card success stories: DM Green Card Success Story

Is the process the same if my family member is inside or outside the USA?

It is important to keep in mind that, depending on the place where the family member you want to apply for is located, the process may have certain variations in the process of submitting the form and the appropriate documentation.

For example:

  • Your relative can apply to adjust their status to become a permanent resident if they are already in the US legally by completing Form I-485
  • If your relative is not already in the United States, your petition for their visa is sent to the Nation Visa Center. There, the NVC will give your petition to the correct US consulate, and your relative will be notified when a visa becomes available. This process is called Consular Processing.

Work with an Immigration Lawyer

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to consult with our family immigration lawyer. We will be happy to provide you with all the help you need to reunite with your loved one and give you the opportunity to obtain legal permanent residency.

Schedule an appointment today and let’s start working so that you and your family member can start a life together, with a legal immigration status in the United States.


© Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

Scroll to top