If you are a citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) in the United States, and you need to help a family member obtain a Permanent Resident Card in the country, better known as a Green Card, but you live outside the USA, in this article we tell you how you can get it from a family immigration lawyer. 

In order to complete this process smoothly, first of all, it is important to make sure that your family member meets each of the requirements established by USCIS to demonstrate that he or she is an eligible family member for legal residency in the United States. 

Generally this process can seem a bit complicated, especially when you are unfamiliar with the immigration laws and each of the forms that must be submitted to obtain a satisfactory result. 

However, with the help of a family immigration lawyer, you will be able to carry out this procedure without problems and with the security of following the proper process to get your family member to obtain the residence without problems.

What do I need to make the request of a  foreign relative?

In order to apply to a foreign family member and get them to receive a Legal Residence Card in the country, it is important to have Form I-130 on hand, which will be essential to achieve positive results for you and your family member. 

Keep in mind that there are other forms that may be necessary at the time of filing your application, depending on the characteristics of your case, so it is ideal that you have the support of a family immigration lawyer, to provide you with the guidance you need at all times. 

Schedule an appointment now and clear all your doubts about the process.

How do I know if my family member is eligible for permanent residency in the USA?

As mentioned above, before you begin the petition process for an alien relative, you must make sure that he or she is an eligible relative, according to the categories specified by USCIS regarding eligibility requirements.

You may only petition for a foreign relative if they are:

An immediate family member of a U.S. citizen

  • Spouse of an American citizen.
  • Unmarried child under 21 of an American citizen.
  •  The father of an American citizen who is at least 21 years old.

Another relative of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident under the family-based preference categories.

  • The unmarried child of a U.S. citizen who is 21 years of age or older. 
  • Married child of a U.S. citizen.
  • Brother of an American citizen who is at least 21 years old.
  • The spouse of a lawful permanent resident.
  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a lawful permanent resident.

Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or child of a fiancé(e)

  • Person admitted to the U.S. as a fiancé(a) of an American citizen (K-1 nonimmigrant visa)
  • Person admitted to the U.S. as a child of a (a) fiancé(a) of an American citizen (K-2 nonimmigrant visa).

Widower(a) of an American citizen

  • Widow(er) of a U.S. citizen and you were married to your spouse who was a U.S. citizen at the time of death.

VAWA self-petitioner – victim of abuse or extreme cruelty

  • Abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
  • Abused child (unmarried and under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
  • Abused parent of a U.S. citizen.

If your relative meets any of the above categories, you, as a U.S. citizen or legal resident, may apply to receive a Green Card, even if you are residing outside the country.

Steps to petition for a family member if I reside outside the United States

If you reside outside the United States, you have three ways to initiate the alien relative petition process: you can do it online through the USCIS Online platform, the USCIS Lockbox in Dallas, or in person at one of the U.S. embassies or consulates around the world.

The steps to follow to complete the procedure are as follows:

  1. Complete each of the fields on Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) that are required.
  2. Sign the document in the corresponding spaces. 
  3. Send your request by the means of your choice. If you do it through the USCIS Secure Locality (Lockbox) in Dallas, in this link you can see the available addresses.

Remember that the form must be correctly filled out and signed in the necessary fields. Otherwise, it will be rejected and its processing cannot be satisfactorily completed.

Contact a family immigration lawyer

Do you need advice on how to apply for a foreign relative to receive a Green Card? It does not matter if you live outside the United States, if you meet the requirements established by USCIS, you can start the process without any problems.

Schedule an appointment now and receive the advice of a family immigration lawyer, who will help you understand each step you will have to follow until your family member receives the Green Card, he/she needs to reside legally in the United States.


© Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

Scroll to top