When you are making any type of application or process at U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), it is important to keep your information always updated, in order to avoid any inconvenience when receiving responses or notices from the agency. But, how can you change your address in this institution? Our immigration lawyer will explain it step by step.

Although most of the procedures and applications before USCIS must be made in person at any of the offices of the agency, in the case of updating data, such as change of address, it can be done directly through the website of the institution, following the appropriate steps.

Remember that, if you need help carrying out any immigration process for which you need to submit a formal application through a form, our immigration lawyer is ready to provide all the legal assistance you need. Make an appointment now!

Why is it important to keep my address updated with USCIS?

Since USCIS is an agency in charge of identification and immigration services in the United States, it is extremely important that you keep your information updated in the USCIS platform, in order to avoid any inconvenience that may affect your immigration status in the country or the legitimacy of your documentation.

If, for example, you currently have an open application, your address is one of the most important pieces of information that you can use to receive:

  • Notifications of the status of your application.
  • Notifications of receipt of forms.
  • Notices of decisions on your application.

Each of these communications will be sent to the address you have registered in the USCIS system, so it is essential that you make sure your information is updated and correct when you start an application.

How can I change my address in USCIS?

To change your address in the USCIS system, it is important to keep in mind that the process to be followed is different for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and individuals with a specific status.

In the case of individuals who have a legal permanent residence in the country, the steps to follow to update the address are as follows:

Fill out the AR-11 form with the appropriate data.

To begin, you must fill out the AR-11 form with each of the data that will be included in it, entering the correct information regarding your personal data and the new residence address. Some of the information you should have prepared are:

  • Your receipt notice or other notice sent to you by USCIS showing your receipt number.
  • Your new address
  • Your old address.
  • The names and biographical information of the person or persons for whom you filed the application.
  • When you last entered the United States (if you can remember this information, please write an approximate date).
  • Where you last entered the United States (the port of entry by which you arrived – land, sea, or air).

With each of this information, you will be able to proceed with the change of your address in the USCIS system; which will allow you to receive the necessary communications and notices without any inconvenience.

Submit the AR-11 form electronically or in person.

Once you have the form duly completed with each of the above-mentioned data, you must submit it by e-mail to the USCIS office. This can be done through the agency’s website.

Wait for USCIS to notify you of your address change.

Finally, after submitting the form with the appropriate information, you must wait for the notification from USCIS, which will notify you that the change of your address has been successfully completed, or if you need any additional information or requirements.

Do I need an immigration lawyer to change my address with USCIS?

Although this is a relatively simple process that can be done through the agency’s website, there is some information that may cause some confusion, so it is important to make sure you have the proper support of an immigration lawyer to ensure that the change is done without any issues.

Keep in mind that, from the date you make the change of residence, you have up to 10 days to update your address in USCIS, so it is important that you do it correctly, without any type of error that may delay the process.

If you need legal help, our immigration lawyer is ready to provide all the assistance you need to keep your information up to date, avoiding inconveniences with USCIS. Make an appointment now and talk to our legal team!


© Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

Scroll to top