While long distance relationships can often work, when it comes to married couples it can be a little difficult to live far away from the person you love. Did you know that the U.S. immigration authorities offer the option to start a Spouse Visa application process? 

With this type of visa there will no longer be distance between you and your spouse, because if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in the country (Green Card holder), you will be able to bring him/her to live with you in the United States, giving them the opportunity to obtain a permanent residency to start a new life together.

Do you have doubts about the Spouse Visa Application process? With the help of our Immigration Lawyer you can get the answers you need and work with a team that will always be ready to help you so that your spouse can finally receive the corresponding visa. Schedule an appointment now and let’s start working on your case together.

What is the application for a Spouse Visa?

When we talk about the application for spouse visa we are referring to the process of applying for the family petition visa, especially for spouses, which you can access through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), as long as you comply with each one of the requirements established for the process.

With this visa, the USCIS gives you the opportunity not only to reunite with your spouse in the United States, but also to give them the opportunity to obtain a permanent residence in the country (Green Card), so that they can live and work legally in the USA.

What do I have to do to start the application for a Spouse Visa?

To start the application for a Spouse Visa, you must first be sure of your status as a resident of the United States, since each process is different depending on the type of residency you have in the country, as well as the place where your spouse is located, inside or outside the U.S. territory.

For example, if you are a U.S. citizen, to apply for a Spouse Visa you will need the following:

  • If your spouse is inside the U.S. you should file the petition Form I-130 and adjustment of status application Form  I-485, at the same time.
  • If your spouse is outside the U.S. you must file the Form I-130 and once it is approved, it will be sent for consular processing; then the consulate or embassy will notify you the processing information.

If you are a Green Card holder, you need to know the following:

  • If your spouse is inside the U.S., file the Form I-130, and when visa number is available, apply to the adjustment of status filing the Form I-485. 
  • If your spouse is outside the U.S., you must file the Form I-130, and once it is approved and a visa becomes available, it will be sent for consular processing.

In addition, it is important to note that if you or a family member is in the U.S. military, special conditions may apply to your situation. For additional information and resources, see the military section of the USCIS website.

Requirements of a Spouse Visa

To complete the process, the petitioner must submit the forms listed above and attach all the required documentation, such as: 

  • A copy of the marriage certificate
  • A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if applicable
  • Passport photos of you and your spouse 
  • Evidence of any legal matters that may affect your application, like name changes among others.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:

  • Copy of a valid U.S. passport, or 
  • A U.S. birth certificate, or
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or
  • A naturalization certificate, or
  • A certificate of citizenship.

If you are a Green Card holder, you must demonstrate your status with:

  • Copy of your Green Card, or
  • Copy of your foreign passport stamped with permanent residence.

Once you have each of these requirements in hand, you can finally start the spouse visa application process, always counting with the help of an Immigration Lawyer who can guide you through the right path to get the visa without major inconveniences.

We can help you with your Spouse Visa application

Do you feel you need help to start the application for a Spouse Visa? With our Immigration Lawyer you won’t have to worry about making mistakes that could keep you from getting the visa you are looking for.

Schedule your appointment now and tell us about your case. We can help you to help your spouse receive permanent residency in the United States, so you can start a new life together.


© Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

Scroll to top