Transforming Adoption Dreams into U.S. Citizenship

Once you, as a U.S. citizen, go through the process of petitioning for your adopted child to live with you in the U.S., there may be a desire to make them a citizen as well, so they can obtain the benefits you enjoy in the country. For this purpose, our family immigration lawyer can provide you with the necessary assistance.

While the application process for your adopted child may have been a challenge, becoming a citizen can be much simpler, particularly when you meet each of the eligibility requirements previously established by the U.S.  Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

With our family immigration lawyer you will not have to worry about anything but the well-being of your adopted child. Our team will ensure you meet the applicable requirements and follow the necessary steps until your adopted child obtains the U.S. citizenship. Ask for an appointment today.

What are the eligibility requirements for my adopted child to become a U.S. citizen?

If you are considering to grant the U.S. citizenship to your adopted child, first you must ensure that you meet each of the eligibility requirements for the benefit. This will allow you to proceed with the process without any inconvenience.

In this case, the main requirements are as follows:

  •       The applicant must be a U.S.  citizen.
  •       The Form I-130 to apply for an adoptive child U.S. citizenship must have been submitted and approved.
  •       Your child must be no older than 18 years old.

Please note that if your child is a minor by the time the Form I-130 is filed before USCIS and subsequently approved, they will automatically receive U.S. citizenship, as they are directly related to you as a citizen.

What if my adopted child is over 18 years old?

In the event your adopted child has already turned 18 years of age after the approval of the I-130 form, you do not have to worry about anything, as USCIS still allows them to obtain U.S. citizenship, but through a slightly different process.

In this case, your adopted child must apply for naturalization by filing Form N-400 and paying the appropriate filing fees at any USCIS office located in the United States.

Please remember that, if you need the advice of a legal team to provide you with the necessary guidance at the time of the naturalization process of your adopted child, our family immigration lawyer will be able to help you in everything you need.

How can I grant the U.S. citizenship to my adopted child?

So, if your adopted child is already over 18 years old, and you wish to grant them the U.S. citizenship, it is necessary to initiate the process through the filing of the N-400 form, after they receive the immigrant visa to join you in the United States.

Now, if your adopted child is already in the United States by the time you apply for the U.S. citizenship, then you may qualify for an adjustment of status, which can be done through any of the USCIS offices in the country.

In either case, it is recommended that you check with an immigration lawyer to learn about your rights as a U.S. citizen, as well as the benefits you can provide to your adopted child based on their current age.

Are you ready to begin the process that will lead your adopted child to become a U.S. citizen? Schedule an appointment with our family immigration lawyer today and receive all the advice you need.


© Copyright 2024 Khalique Law PLLC ATTORNEY ADVERTISING: This website and the information is provided by the lawyer or the law firm for general information, and is not intended to provide legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. By using this website and the information contained herein, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is created between you and the firm. You should not act or rely on the information provided on this site website without seeking the advice of an attorney. We cannot guarantee results and past performance does not guarantee future results. The firm also takes no responsibility and no liability is assumed for the information on the site, quality or accuracy of any links to a third-party website. Links to third-party websites are for informational purposes only and are not an endorsement by Sumaiya Khalique or Khalique Law, PLLC.

Copyright KHALIQUE LAW PLLC © 2024 I All Rights Reserverd I Designed By Primitive.

Scroll to top